Subject: 386 and Serial I/O --- making a decision.
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/08/1997 00:21:13
	I honestly have to make a decision.  The sole purpose of the
40Mhz 386 is to run my modems.  Somewhere back before 1.2, there were
patches that made this work rather well.  I was under some mistaken
impression that this had made it into 1.2 when I upgraded.  It has
not.

	As it stands, my 386 has problems receving faxes (at both 9600
and 14400) and almost never completely transfers UUCP batches at
28800.  I need to decide if I'm going to go for FreeBSD on this issue
alone.

	I can say I really don't want to... my other systems run
NetBSD.  And I can say that I know someone is working on this problem
--- or was.  I've built several current kernels lately, but none seem
to show improvement.  I also know that this is largely due to broken
old hardware too --- but my modem still doesn't function.

	Now... anther possibility is to get one of those serial
boards.  Any recomendations there?  I don't want to trade one hassle
for another.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |