Subject: Re: NetBSD & WinNT on one huge EIDE disk.
To: Matt Ragan <mragan@tivoli.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/07/1997 12:28:08
On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Matt Ragan wrote:

> Windows NT can access more than 1024 cylinders, with the caveat that at least
> the first few cylinders must be under 1024 for it to boot.

NetBSD has this same ability; I rely on it.

I'd suggest two relatively small partitions under 1024 cylinders, one FAT
partition for booting NT and one NetBSD partition big enough to hold a
root file system.  (Well, you don't need a FAT partition, necessarily; it
could be NTFS, but it's handy to keep a D*S partition to use pfdisk,
booteasy/os-bs/whatever, and other tools and installers around.)  Split
the rest of the space in half for NT and NetBSD, making sure to update the
NetBSD disklabel appropriately.  You may or may not be able to add a
second NetBSD partition; I don't know, as I've never tried.  Leaving it as
unpartitioned space certainly will work but may cause you future problems
if other people have administrative access to the machine.

--scott