Subject: Re: How to extract sources
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/06/1997 20:11:12
> > I was pointed to .../Netbsd/Netbsd-1.2.1/source/ksrc121/* to pickup
> > the files for the Netbsd 1.2.1 kernel.  [...]  The Install notes say
> > to extract the files with the following command:
>
> >                 cat set_name.?? | gunzip | tar xfp -

You know, I avoided a lot of these problems when I started
distributing ``install.sh'' files with the FreeBSD distributions which
did exactly this, more or less.  It really saves on questions!

Of course, are we ready to collapse distributions and packages into
one mechanism yet?  Maybe with a little saved MD5 signature
information for every file unpacked that way so you'd know what to
upgrade later (and what was modified by the user and shouldn't simply
be spammed over)? :-)

It seems that after 3 years, everyone's install technology (FreeBSD's
included) is in serious need of a face lift.  Pity we can't seem to
find the resources necessary to do the job. :(

					Jordan