Subject: NetBSD & WinNT on one huge EIDE disk.
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@media-city.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/06/1997 07:57:49
Greetings NetBSD users:

I just bought myself an extremely large 4 GB EIDE harddrive with over 8000
cylinders.  :-)  Anyways, I plan to install Windows NT 4.0 on half of it
and NetBSD 1.2 on the other half.  Unfortunately, I am running into
trouble with the very large (> 1024) cylinder size of the harddrive.

     In the installation notes and faqs that I've come across, it states
that NetBSD should only use the real and not the translation disk geometry.
In addition it also states that all bootable partition should be viewable
from the bios and hense be within the first 1024 cylinders.  And lastly it
states the "c" BSD sub partition contain all of the NetBSD partitions
including swap in a single continuous block.

     I know that DOS & Win95 cannot access more than 1024 cylinders.  Does
anyone know if Win NT 4.0 can?  Also how am I to partition my large disk in
half, in such a way that I can boot from both NetBSD & WinNT, when about an
eight or so of the disk lies below 1024 cylinders?  Also what type of boot
manager can I use to boot NetBSD and WinNT from the same drive.

     I've successfully installed & configured NetBSD on several i386 based
machines, but all of these where running NetBSD 1.2 exclusively.  (I have
absolutely no WinNT experience.)  When I install NetBSD onto the large new
harddrive, I will do so by mounting it with another exclusively NetBSD
drive, using NetBSD disk utilities like fdisk & disklabel to partition the
NetBSD & WinNT halves of the disk, and copying over the files.  (After I
install NetBSD, I plan to use the WinNT installation CD to install WinNT.)

Does anyone have any experience setting up NetBSD & WinNT to coexist on the
same, large EIDE harddrive?  If so, please let me know ASAP.  Transcripts of
fdisk & translabels would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.  Sincerely, Alicia.
_____
 Name: Alicia da Conceicao         Bus: Media-City                  _
Email: alicia@media-city.com       WWW: http://www.media-city.com  | |-+ /
Phone: 905-507-2440                Fax: 905-851-0844               | | | \__/
Smail: 136 Wings Rd, #8 2nd floor, Woodbridge, ON, L4L-6C3, Canada ~~~~~