Subject: Re: userid & group id
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: None <wonko@madness.tmok.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/05/1997 23:34:39
Jukka Marin drunkenly mumbled...

> There are several places in the userland programs where the UID and GID
> values are checked against 32767 or 65535 (I think it was 32767).  UID's
> over 65535 will NOT work unless these limits are changed.  Hm.. maybe I
> should look into this sometime.. but first I should update to -current
> on some machine. :-/

just did a little testing to see what my machines will do about this.

Linux: wraps around, uid of 70000 wraps to 4xxx (don't remember exactly) so
linux doesn't check to see if this happens.  that isn't so good.  the other
news is that linux does support 65535 users.

Solaris 2.5.1: UIDs over 65535 are just fine, UID 70000 is a vaild UID.  so
Solaris does in fact use 32bit UID's.  cool.

just our of curiosity, anyone know what NetBSD does about this??

-brian

--
The fundamental difference between Unix and the Macintosh operating system is
that Unix was designed to please programmers, whereas the Mac was designed to

=== End Transmission ===