Subject: Re: Configuring kernel for root on wd1
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/04/1997 15:16:41
AFAIK, That should work.  Under -current you don't have to do anything
special (root on ?), but that's not the case for 1.2.

At the boot prompt, try using -ar and telling to to boot from wd1.  A
friend of mine did that under 1.2, and it appeared to set the default root
partition to whatever is specified with -a.  I havn't verified this
personally, but the -r flag does have the name "RB_DFLTROOT" in the source
- so it would make sense (I'm surprised it's that easily actually - up
until a few days ago, I thought you had to recompile the kernel as well).

You did change /etc/fstab didn't you?

Hope this helps,
	Rick

On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Darren Reed wrote:

> Does this work with NetBSD 1.2 ?
>
> config file named "FOO":
>
> options netbsd root on wd1 swap on wd1
> options FOO
>
> I ask because having done this, and booted the kernel, it still tried to
> mount root from wd0!
>
> Darren

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                      System Administrator
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/