Subject: Re: nfs mount on linux server
To: Huy Dang <huyd@compcore.com>
From: Jesus M. Gonzalez <jgb@gsyc.inf.uc3m.es>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/04/1997 09:57:53
Huy Dang writes:

 > Hi -
 >
 > We are running NetBSD 1.1 and are able to mount NFS file
 > systems on Solaris server.  However we were not able
 > to mount NFS file system on a Linux server.  When try
 > to mount we keep getting the message
 > "mount: statfs ... Stale NFS file handle"
 >
 > The Linux server is running Linux 1.3.18, and ping
 > to it works.
 >
 > Anyone seeing the same problem or able to do what
 > we're trying to do?
 >
 > Thanks, Huy.

	As far as I remember, some time ago we had a similar problem
with Linux machines here about four months ago. The problem was that
Liux machines were accepting NFS requests only from reserved ports,
whcih seems to be not the case for NetBSD requests. The problem
went awy when either the Linux machine was set to accept request from
any port or either the NetBSD machine was set to use a reserved
port (option to mount_nfs). Se below the relevant part of the
mount_nfs man page:

     -P      Use a reserved socket port number.  This is useful for mounting
             servers that require clients to use a reserved port number on the
             mistaken belief that this makes NFS more secure. (For the rare
             case where the client has a trusted root account but untrusworthy
             users and the network cables are in secure areas this does help,
             but for normal desktop clients this does not apply.)

	I hope this will help you...

		Jesus.

--
Jesus M. Gonzalez Barahona         | addr.:  c/ Butarque, 15
Grupo de Sistemas y Comunicaciones |         28911 Leganes, Spain