Subject: Re: Chrystal Sound System (CS4232)
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: Thorsten Frueauf <frueauf@cyberlap.ira.uka.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/01/1997 20:30:25
Hello!

> Somebody asked about Crystal PnP audio support a few weeks ago -
> I just double-checked again with a quite -current kernel, and mine
> works.

Yes, it was me :-) Thanx for answering!

> What I had to do is disable PnP support in the BIOS (did that already to
> get sound working on NT 4.0)

The problem here is - my BIOS for the Toshiba Tecra (v5.60 - I even upgraded
to this one, former 5.50) does not have a switch for turning PNP on/off :-(

All I can set with sound is:

WSS I/O Adress          534H
SBPro I/O Adress        220H
Synthesizer I/O Adress  388H
WSS & SBPro IRQ Level   IRQ5
WSS & SBPro DMA
        Playback =      Channel 1
        Recored  =      Channel 0
Control I/O Adress      120H

My laptop uses the CS4232 chip.

> and put the right config entry into my
> kernel config file. It now probes as
> sb0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x237 irq 5 drq 1: dsp v3.02

exactly like mine:
sb0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x237 irq 5 drq 1: dsp v3.02

with
sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1  # SoundBlaster

enabled in the kernel config file.

> and all the sounds I tried work just fine (they are all 8 bit .au format,
> sorry, I don't have anything fancy to test right now).

I stil got nothing else than the first second repeated until the file
is at its end. Strange enough, that when I play an animation with xanim, I can
fade the sound from loud to off, but always repeating the first bits :-(

I even tryed to turn "sb0 at isa?" off and enable the PnP support with
two possible numbers I got from Mike Long in /src/sys/dev/isapnp/sb_isapnp.c:

PNP ID for the part as a whole is "CSC4232"
PNP ID for the SBPro logical device is "PNPB002"

but I did not even get a message from isapnp. Even not with DEBUG_ISAPNP
enabled.

Maybe it is related that I have the atapi and pcmcia patches installed to
current?

Thanx for any hint to get audio working...

Greets
      Thorsten