Subject: Re: http over ppp ?
To: None <skedel@mr.picker.com>
From: David Eckhardt <David_Eckhardt@piper.nectar.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/31/1997 23:51:46
Some implementations of PPP (especially ones on a certain major
vendor's terminal servers) don't negotiate MTU correctly--if you
let both sides default, they think they agree but they don't.

Another thing to look at:  do you have error correction turned on?
If not, and if your phone line is very noisy, longer packets might
get killed more often.

Or your flow control might be wrong, so long packets would have a higher
likelihood of overflowing something.

Good luck, I suspect you'll figure this one out.

	If I telnet over the ppp link to port 80 and issue a GET for an html
	page, that works but when I use the browser, it just hangs with "Host
	contacted. Waiting for reply..."

One possible reason is that browsers these days don't send unadorned
GETs -- they add in all sorts of junk which could easily result in
a single large packet being sent.

Dave Eckhardt
davide@cs.cmu.edu