Subject: Re: PCI ethernet (RTL8029)?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: None <wonko@madness.tmok.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/28/1997 10:45:07
der Mouse drunkenly mumbled...

> > I've got a (so-claiming) NS2000-compatible PCI-card here, [...] RTL
> > 8029.
>
> Yeah, the RealTek 8029 seems to be _the_ chip for "NE2000-compatible"
> PCI cards.

speaking of the RealTek chip (this might be an issue with NetBSD, it's hard
to say)... we put together a PC here at work (two of them really) and they
had the RealTek chips in the PCI ethernet cards.  Windows 95 (ick, not my
first choice in operating systems, but then again i have a SPARCstation LX
and a SPARCstation 1+ on my desk so i don't really care). anyway, win95
could not use this card if it was setup in the network device area (i don't
know what their called i've never used win95, ever) it said there was
a conflict (which there wasn't) with another device.  out of dumb luck the
one guy that was setting these up with mw clicked on the Misc PCI Devices
thing and there showed up a Misc PCI Device that was unknow, but turned
out to be the ethernet card (we could only tell by the interupt and i/o port
value)  as long as we treated it as a misc unknown pci device it works great.
win95 sucks (at least i don't have to use it ever, at work _OR_ at home, run
Solaris, Linux & NetBSD at home)

-wonko

--
Just about every computer on the market today runs UNIX, except the Mac
(and nobody cares about it).

"Never underestimate the power of a computer."  - Superman III

=== End Transmission ===