Subject: Re: More startx questions
To: None <gevans@televar.com, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/27/1997 18:14:57
>Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 18:05:34 -0500
>From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>

>Mike Long writes:
>> I think he said he was running an INSTALLOTHER kernel, which (IIRC)
>> didn't include either of those features.
>
>The installation instructions for the i386 port contain the following
>explicit statement:
>
>        Please note that because of space considerations the kernel
>        copy floppies no longer contain drivers that are not needed
>        during installation -- in particular, no drivers needed to run
>        the X Window System are available in these kernels. It is
>        recommended that you configure a custom kernel following
>        installation.

Yep.  The only reason G. Evans got as far as he did was because the
pccons driver ignored XSERVER until after 1.2.  So, he can either use
the appropriate GENERIC kernel from the 1.2 distribution, or he can
configure and build a custom kernel using the instructions in the
*BSD FAQ.  The latter is preferred.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>