Subject: Re: More startx questions
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/27/1997 18:05:34
Mike Long writes:
> >From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
> >
> >"G. Evans" writes:
> >> MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
> >
> >You stripped System V IPC out of your kernel. Why?
> >
> >> login: Error 23, errno 25: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> >> xterm: Error 23, errno 25: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> >
> >You stripped out the BSD 4.3 back compatibility, too.
>
> I think he said he was running an INSTALLOTHER kernel, which (IIRC)
> didn't include either of those features.

The installation instructions for the i386 port contain the following
explicit statement:

        Please note that because of space considerations the kernel
        copy floppies no longer contain drivers that are not needed
        during installation -- in particular, no drivers needed to run
        the X Window System are available in these kernels. It is
        recommended that you configure a custom kernel following
        installation.

Perry