Subject: Re: how to name fs specific programs
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.east-arlington.ma.us>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/26/1997 11:02:28
On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> ...and he believes that the name
> of the filesystem type should be defined purely by the name used in
> the /sbin/fs directory, and not by anything inherent in the binaries
> found inside /sbin/fs/foo/.

In other words, one wants /sbin/nfs/mount, and /sbin/nfs/nfsmount
is wrong because the word `nfs' appears in the files under /sbin/nfs?

I can't see what advantage this offers besides aesthetic. Certainly
the code doesn't care whether or not there's an _ or a / between
the two %s strings in the printf format.

It does seem to me to be a disadvantage in that if the file is ever
encountered outside of the tree (say, you restore a single file
from backup) it's very easy to get confused as to which mount
program it is.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates