Subject: Re: how to name fs specific programs
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.east-arlington.ma.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/26/1997 09:26:35
I believe I understand what Terry's suggesting.

He wants to be able to be able to have a new filesystem type appear by
simply mounting (or symlinking, or copying) the implementation of a
new filesystem type into /sbin/fs/foo, and he believes that the name
of the filesystem type should be defined purely by the name used in
the /sbin/fs directory, and not by anything inherent in the binaries
found inside /sbin/fs/foo/.

so that, as an extreme case, one could do
	mv /sbin/fs/{nfs,losefs}
and
	sed 's/nfs/losefs/' </etc/fstab >/etc/fstab.NEW && mv /etc/fstab{.NEW,}

and reboot, and everything will keep working..

						- Bill