Subject: Re: how to name fs specific programs
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/25/1997 22:15:48
> This makes no sense.
>
> The names of your programs have NOTHING to do with union mounts. You
> can name them anything that doesn't conflict and union mount
> them. Not, of course, that this is a reasonable use of union mounts,
> but if it was, your comment still would make no sense.
>
> None of what you have said give any good reason why you might want to
> name something ffs_mount or ffs/mount instead of mount_ffs.

Look:

I want it called "mount" not "ffs_mount" because I might refer
to the directory containing the "ffs_mount" instead of the directory
containing the agregating "mount" during boot.  If the name of
the program is not the same as the name of the agregator, then I have
to have the agregator in all boot-time configurations.

I want it in a directory so I can make all the commands come and go
as I please knowing only the FS type on which they operate, and not
which commands are (or aren't) implemented for a given FS type.  It
is an issue of switching granularity, nothing more.

Union mounts might be one way the things come and go.  AMD might be
another.  Component-based installation and deinstalltion might be
yet another.  As might an alternate installation scenario where
the FS containing the commands is not the same as it is in a
default install because I am droping my kernel in in place of
an SCO or Solaris or Linux or ... kernel.

Really, I don't *care* how they come and go, only that the way
things are implemented allow it to happen easily and at the right
switching granularity.

The reference to "breaking existing dependencies" is silly without
someone being able to cite a specific example of an existing
dependency which would be broken.  No one has yet provided such
an example.

The issues of interoperability are silly unless there is binary
interoperability between the camps, which for these system-specific
commands, there isn't at this time.

> Not that this makes any sense (because it doesn't) but that still says
> nothing about why you might want to name something ffs_mount instead
> of mount_ffs.

I *don't* want to name if "ffs_mount"; I want to name it "ffs/mount".

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---