Subject: Re: Configuring my Ethernet card.
To: Shrike <shrike@televar.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/25/1997 20:35:09
Shrike writes:
> Just got NetBSD installed on my PC here at work, and am wondering how I
> would go about configuring my 3Com Ethernet card?
>
> I read the Install document and tried:
>
> ifconfig ep0 <myIPaddress> netmask 0xffffff00
>
> It tells me SIOCGIFFLAGS: Device not configured

In all likelyhood, during bootup, the kernel did not successfully
probe an ep0.

Go through your boot messages (try "dmesg") and look for the ep0
device. If it isn't there, it means your kernel didn't find it.

There can be several reasons that this happened, but typically it is
because the device isn't at the I/O ports and/or addresses and/or IRQ
expected by the probe.

Perry