Subject: Re: dump for MS-DOS partitions.
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/25/1997 15:57:10
> Lets get serious here.
>
> 4.4lite introduced the entire mount_${fs} thing.
>
> It is arguable whether it is better to say ffs_mount or mount_ffs, but
> frankly it doesn't matter much, and having picked one there is no good
> reason to break people by switching back.
>
> This isn't the sort of thing that is so critical that there is a
> reason to be gratuitously incompatible with what another BSD is doing,
> and 4.4lite set the precedent.

BSD4.4-Lite arguably screwed up FS modularity in many ways.

This is one of them.

If all our friends jumped off a bridge, should we?  Like our friends
from the bridge, CSRG is quite dead.

The only reasonably uniform mechanism for modular insertion/deletion
of supported file systems from an OS involves grouping the files by FS.

Ideally, the grouping should be done on a directory basis rather than
a prefix basis so that only a single point of adjustment is necessary
to perform the insertion or deletion.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org