Subject: Re: several questions for a NetBSD newbie...
To: None <wonko@madness.tmok.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/24/1997 21:10:19
>i'm am going to be cleaning my harddrives off (had linux) and am going to
>install NetBSD on that machine (386dx33).  i think i remember hearing that
>you can make NetBSD do gateway stuff.  how easy is it to setup the 386 so i
>can use Netscape on my sparc and have it go through the 386 and get the
>pages back to the sparc?

Congratulations on a wise decision.

Yes, it's not difficult to do.  You just need a knowledge of general
routing semantics.  The best way to figure this out is to experiment.
You'll want to read the man pages for "route" and "netstat".  It also
helps if you have a working Unix box with intelligent routing already
set up (like at work or school), that you can reference.

Is there an O'Reilly book on this?  Can't remember...

>wondering if there is a high speed serial card out there that is supported
>by NetBSD so i can milk all the performance out of the X2 as i can.  would
>either an AT&T or a BOCA super-duper serial card work with NetBSD??  what are
>my options??

Don't know about either of those.  The Hayes ESP works extremely well
(1024-byte FIFO).  You need to build a new kernel if you want to
enable all the Hayes ESP capabilities, though.  The new cards with the
16650 on them would probably Just Work, though NetBSD wouldn't realize
it was using a larger FIFO.

>thanks a million, maybe NetBSD will run on my vax and sun3 hardware one day as
>well.  :)

NetBSD has been running on Sun3 hardware for quite a long time, if I'm
not mistaken (I don't do Suns).  I believe there is a somewhat
functional Vax port, as well, though I'm not positive if that's still
active.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net