Subject: Re: dump for MS-DOS partitions.
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/24/1997 18:42:12
> NetBSD has already changed at least fsck to fsck_ffs ... fsck is now a
> "wrapper" much like mount is.
>
> Eventually, we will have:
>
> 	newfs_ffs
> 	dump_ffs
> 	fsck_ffs
> 	mount_ffs
>
> 	newfs_lfs
> 	dump_lfs
> 	fsck_lfs
> 	mount_lfs

Yes; I've been suggesting it for years... it's a good idea.  One problem is
that it wasn't too useful until the mount system call changes, and that
didn't happen until 4.4 because we feared changing things that might
get touched by the Lite2 integration (unreasonably, IMO).

Other than inverting the name/program convention so all my ffs_ stuff
will show in one area, all my mfs in one area, etc...

I also wanted ffs_fstype.  The fstype wrapper would call all available
functions iteratively to identify the FS on a given device.

Ideally, this would be implemented via VFS_IDENT() in each FS, and the
kernel code would be responsible for recognition.

Obviously, VFS_MOUNT would call VFS_IDENT internally.

You would get at the IDENT either by calling mount with a "don't really"
argument, or by ioctl'ing down to the device (and the disk device knowing
the ioctl means iterate the installed FS types to identify the device).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---