Subject: Re: dump for MS-DOS partitions.
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/24/1997 18:35:21
>  > > ftp://ftp.cyber.com.au/pub/unix/msdump.tgz
>  >
>  > Better name it `dosdump'?  Remember, there's more DOSes than just M$.
>  > Also, we do already have a mkdosfs(8), maybe somebody would even write
>  > a dosfsck(8).  (mkdosfs doesn't understand harddisks however.  I'm not
>  > the right person to ask for this, my DOS knowledge is too weak.)
>
> ..actually... I'd suggest a naming scheme that NetBSD is using:
>
> 	newfs_msdos
> 	fsck_msdos
> 	mount_msdos
> 	dump_msdos
>
> The name is, of course, the string used to identify the file system
> in the vfssw[].
>
> Just a suggestion :-)

Curious: why aren't they using it as a prefix instead of a suffix?  It
would seem to make more sense as a prefix, for all sorts fo string
manipulation reasons, including argv[ 0] and _ replacement with 0
for string split issues...

Is it just that SVR4 does it with prefixes, and NIH rules?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.