Subject: Re: dump for MS-DOS partitions.
To: None <hackers@freebsd.org, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/24/1997 21:49:16
As Darren Reed wrote:

> Well, after a days work, it's done.  well, I think it works :)

Not bad. ;-)

> Unfortunately, restore doesn't work with the dump file created, but I'm
> not sure yet whether it is because it isn't a UFS dump or I've not done
> something right.

Restore shouldn't be much dependent on UFS features.  Unlike
(ufs)dump, it works at file level, not at disk level.

> If you want to grab it and play, it is at:
>
> ftp://ftp.cyber.com.au/pub/unix/msdump.tgz

Better name it `dosdump'?  Remember, there's more DOSes than just M$.
Also, we do already have a mkdosfs(8), maybe somebody would even write
a dosfsck(8).  (mkdosfs doesn't understand harddisks however.  I'm not
the right person to ask for this, my DOS knowledge is too weak.)

Ideally, all this should probably named s/dos/fat/g.  It's a more
descriptive name of this filesystem.

--
cheers, J"org