Subject: Re: Seagate SCSI write-back drive cache
To: None <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/23/1997 00:32:47
> If I remember right, there was a FreeBSD SCSI utility that could do it
> very simply, on FreeBSD, but NetBSD didn't have support for that
> particular utility.
>
> Does anyone recall what the final solution was?  I just added a couple
> Seagate drives to my system, and the write throughput is about a
> quarter of my HP drives.  I'm suspicious that this is my problem.
As far as I know you still need to run the FreeBSD utility or a
Windows/DOS utility.  The second was not an option when I tried it
because DOS refused to boot (too much memory) and I didn't want
to install Windoze.  You can almost run the FreeBSD utilities from
the boot+fixit floppies, but there is (was) one file missing.

All in all, it took me almost a day to do it.  I wish someone would
port the FreeBSD scsi utility to NetBSD.

        -- Lennart