Subject: Re: new stand/netboot too big
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/20/1997 12:41:14

[? wrote (attribution lost):]
>> I attempted to build Perry's SSTO stuff yesterday (to replicate the
>> problem with it failing on 4M systems), and (in addition to the fixes
>> I committed to biosmem.S), I had trouble with installboot, at least as
>> it's used by the ssto makefiles..  it appears to want to write to the
>> raw device of a mounted filesystem, and when it opens up the raw
>> device for writing it gets EBUSY (because the corresponding block
>> device has a mounted filesystem on it).  I had to hack it to unmount
>> the filesystem at the right place, which leads me to wonder how this
>> ever worked for him..
>
>Dunno -- I just tried it again and it worked Yet Again.

I'm willing to bet that Perry uses 'options INSECURE', and those who
are having problems do not.  Either installboot should use
RAWPARTITION, or installboot(8) should be modified to say that it must
be run on an unmounted filesystem or when securelevel <= 0.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>