Subject: new SSTO boot floppy available + new boot blocks
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/14/1997 23:40:28
I've put up a snapshot of the new Single Stage To Orbit (SSTO)
install system in ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/ssto

In the new system, a single disk replaces the two kernel copy floppies
and the install floppy -- instead, a compressed kernel with a ramdisk
image of the install filesystem is booted from a single floppy.

I would not recommend doing actual installs off of this floppy
yet, but I would appreciate feedback on how well the system works.
Especially interesting are reports on whether it boots properly on
small memory machines.

The compressed boot is possible thanks to the new two stage boot blocks
available in current in src/sys/arch/i386/stand -- these boot blocks are
not yet the default, but will become so Real Soon Now. You can build
and play with the boot blocks by doing a "make install" in i386/stand
-- the new blocks, a program for booting a NetBSD kernel from MS-DOS,
and the installboot program are all put into /usr/mdec

Perry