Subject: Re: xntpd going wild
To: None <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de, cjs@portal.ca>
From: Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/12/1997 02:09:43
On Mar 12, 10:51am, Markus Kilbinger wrote:
} >>>>> "Curt" == Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca> writes:
}
}     Curt> On my NetBSD-current (as of early to mid Feburary) i386
}     Curt> system, xntpd3-5.88 quite regularly seems to go into a spin,
}     Curt> eating all the CPU time it can grab and doing nothing
}     Curt> else. This has happened once or twice on a NetBSD-1.2 system
}     Curt> as well. It doesn't happen at all on my Sparc-current of the
}     Curt> same vintage. Has anyone else seen this?
}
} Yes, me, on a DEC AXP under DU3.2C with xntpd3-5.89. I couldn't find
} the exact reason, but after reading more of the docs I got the
} impression offering too many xntpd servers in the ntp.conf file can
} confuse the daemon.

That's not the reason, though. There was a bug causing an infinite loop
in the 3-5.88 and 3-5.89 vintages.  It was fixed sometime after the
release of 3-5.89.  Your best bet is to get
ftp://louie.udel.edu/xntp3-5.89.8{,-export}.tar.gz (though even that
may have problems if you have a hardware reference clock attached) or
newer.

			---  Truck