Subject: Re: xntpd going wild
To: None <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Markus Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/12/1997 10:51:41

    Curt> On my NetBSD-current (as of early to mid Feburary) i386
    Curt> system, xntpd3-5.88 quite regularly seems to go into a spin,
    Curt> eating all the CPU time it can grab and doing nothing
    Curt> else. This has happened once or twice on a NetBSD-1.2 system
    Curt> as well. It doesn't happen at all on my Sparc-current of the
    Curt> same vintage. Has anyone else seen this?

Yes, me, on a DEC AXP under DU3.2C with xntpd3-5.89. I couldn't find
the exact reason, but after reading more of the docs I got the
impression offering too many xntpd servers in the ntp.conf file can
confuse the daemon. I observed many time server switchings on that
machine (== firewall and xntp server for our subnet) maybe due to loss
of connection, guess of better accuracy, I don't know.

--> I reduced the number of master xntp server entries in the config
file, choose only server with reliable network access and provided
_one_ with the 'prefer' option. That helped (till now ;-)).

I don't know if this behaviour is a bug and should never happen. Or if
the user has to care of xntpd's configuration. Best would be the first
case...

Markus.