Subject: Re: Question regarding Adaptec 2940 and IDE drive.
To: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/11/1997 22:45:00
>My Guess is still some sort of hardware problem.  Generally there
>isn't any problem with using a SCSI and IDE together (there is no
>reason for there to be, except for maybe an IRQ conflict).  Try checking
>the SCSI FAQ, they might have something (sorry, I don't know the URL
>offhand).

I would echo the "sounds like a hardware problem message".

I would also say, more deliberately: there _is_ _no_ problem with
running IDE and SCSI together (in general, excepting interrupt
conflicts, as noted above, which should never happen in a "normal"
system).

I have been mixing IDE and SCSI in the same system, with NetBSD, for
well over three years.  I currently have a system with five SCSI hard
drives, a SCSI CD-ROM drive, and an 1.6GB EIDE hard drive for backup
purposes.

The system runs completely off SCSI.  But, early every morning does
various scans of all drives (including the EIDE drive), then does
backups of important stuff from the SCSI drives to the EIDE drive.
There has never been a single error message associated with this.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net