Subject: sdX: not queued, error 5
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/11/1997 07:26:33
Is there any way to get rid of these with the ahc driver?

I'm using an Adaptec 2940UW.

Previously, I had three TCQ (tagged-command-queuing) supporting
drives, with a ccd stripe between two of them.  I never ever saw this
message.

Last night, I reconfigured with five TCQ supporting drives, with a ccd
stripe between four of them.  I see this message just booting.  I had
to build a kernel with TCQ turned off, to avoid frying my filesystems.

I have a NetBSD system at work that I have toyed around with that has
six TCQ drives, with a ccd stripe between five of them, and I never
see this happen there.  Except it has three SCSI busses (a 2940 and a
3940 (dual)).  Would more busses/controllers make a difference?

Is there some kind of kernel setting I can tweak to give it more
"buffers", or something, to make this go away?  I remember Justin
Gibbs saying that this was one of the things he was going to fix in
his new, improved, driver model.

This is a stock NetBSD-1.2 system, FWIW.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net