Subject: Re: Question regarding Adaptec 2940 and IDE drive.
To: Vince Mammoliti <vince@homepage.ca>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/07/1997 15:53:45
Vince,

I assume you mean "Does NetBSD support an IDE drive concurrently with a
SCSI drive", and the answer is yes (AFAIK).  We did that for a bit at IAW
when a SCSI crahed and we only had an IDE for replacement.  I think the
only limitation is that you have to boot from the IDE (becase of the BIOS
I believe).

Anyway, double check to make sure you don't have an interrupt conflict.
The 2940 uses the PCI PNP interrupts, and if the BIOS isn't configured
properly, it will pick an interrupt that is allready in use!  I think it
sais what interrupt it's using when it boot.  You can set certain
interrupts "In use" in the CMOS setup, and then the 2940 won't use them.
IRQ 10 and 11 are usually safe, 14 and 15 are probably in use by your IDE
controller.

If this doesn't work, see if you have another SCSI card laying about.
I've heard (according to Andreas) that there are some problems in 1.2 with
the 2940.  We had a 2940 that just wouldn't autoconf at boot.  I swapped
it for an older one and it worked great (at the time time - giving
Tri-Media's NT Server a newer one which also fixed a problem with NT!).
Bridge is running fine now with our older 2940.

Hope this helps!
	Rick

 On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Vince Mammoliti wrote:

> Does NetBSD-1.2 support and IDE drive concurrently with and IDE drive.
>
> I was trying to upgrade my system from 1.0 to 1.2 by loading 1.2 on a new
> scsi drive off a 2940. This when well.
>
> When I try to mount my IDE drive it will mount.
>
> The problem occurs when I try to copy a large amount of data
>
> cp -R /mnt/home/  /home
>
> The system will Freeze !
>
> I will sometimes get a message about interupt issue.
>
> Any suggestions ?
>
> My system is a 486DX100
>

> Vince

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                      System Administrator
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/