Subject: Re: PCI ethernet
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/07/1997 10:34:50
At 11:41 PM 3/6/97 EST, Mike Long wrote:

>>Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 19:21:41 -0500 (EST)
>>From: der Mouse  <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
>>
>>My colleagues Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca> and Steven
>>Winikoff <smw@alcor.concordia.ca> are trying to install NetBSD on some
>>machines at their work.  The network card in question is described to
>>me as a "Magitronic P/N:I-E32-COMBOPNP", it sits on the PCI bus, and
>>it's supposed to be NE2000 compatible.  (The PNP does not look
>>encouraging; I fear it may be a plug-&-pla^H^Hray card.)

There is really no such thing as an NE2000 compatible PCI card, what they
call "NE2000 compatible" is that they map the registers to emulate an
NE2000 card, and the access bits are the same. But the setup is different
(you dont know, for example, what the address of a PCI card is until after
boot up), so you cant expect to use the card without some driver to handle
the setup.

Dennis