Subject: Our audio driver isn't that bad ! (Was: Realaudio 3.0 ...)
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Torsten Duwe <duwe@ns.lst.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/07/1997 03:22:30
I've been hacking around with my SB16 for quite a while now and have finally
succeeded in getting CD quality playback as good as Voxware on Linux. The
secrets are a) Loop mode DMA and more important b) a large DMA
buffer. Because of NetBSD's quite efficient paging VM system I had to come up
with a very bad hack to achieve the latter, maybe there is room for a clean
solution in /sys/vm/ ? I have put all my kernel patches (as well as a
loadable module header for the unaltered sys/dev/isa/sb* - files) on

ftp://ftp.lst.de/pub/NetBSD/

Adding code to assemble fragments into the au_ring instead of padding them
with silence to the block size should't be too difficult but the large buffer
allocation needs conceptual kernel work.

	Torsten

P.S.: sysinfo: 5x86/133 + 486/33, NetBSD-current, AXP hopefully RSN.