Subject: Re: PCI ethernet
To: None <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/06/1997 23:41:12
>Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 19:21:41 -0500 (EST)
>From: der Mouse  <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
>
>My colleagues Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca> and Steven
>Winikoff <smw@alcor.concordia.ca> are trying to install NetBSD on some
>machines at their work.  The network card in question is described to
>me as a "Magitronic P/N:I-E32-COMBOPNP", it sits on the PCI bus, and
>it's supposed to be NE2000 compatible.  (The PNP does not look
>encouraging; I fear it may be a plug-&-pla^H^Hray card.)

Plug-and-Play is for ISA cards only, not PCI cards.  I doubt that's
the problem.

>Also, what about the other three "not configured" lines?  What's a
>"bridge"?  (It does look as though the _display_ may be unrecognized
>too, which I daresay could cause problems....)

The other lines are for PCI devices that lack PCI-specific drivers;
they are:

>> vendor 0x8086 product 0x1250 (class bridge, subclass host, revision
>>    0x03) at pci0 dev  0 function 0 not configured

The host bridge connects the CPU to the PCI bus.

>> vendor 0x8086 product 0x7000 (class bridge, subclass ISA,  revision
>>    0x01) at pci0 dev  7 function 0 not configured

The ISA bridge connects the machine's ISA bus to the PCI bus; ISA
devices are accessed through PCI, instead of directly by the CPU.

>> vendor 0x102b product 0x0519 (class display, subclass VGA, revision
>>    0x01) at pci0 dev 10 function 0 not configured

This is a VGA-compatible display.

The fact that these devices lack specific PCI drivers isn't a problem,
because the bridges are configured by the machine's BIOS, and the VGA
display is handled by the standard console driver.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>