Subject: PCI ethernet
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/06/1997 19:21:41
My colleagues Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca> and Steven
Winikoff <smw@alcor.concordia.ca> are trying to install NetBSD on some
machines at their work.  The network card in question is described to
me as a "Magitronic P/N:I-E32-COMBOPNP", it sits on the PCI bus, and
it's supposed to be NE2000 compatible.  (The PNP does not look
encouraging; I fear it may be a plug-&-pla^H^Hray card.)  The
possibly-relevant boot messages from the install kernel as quoted to me
are

> vendor 0x8086 product 0x1250 (class bridge, subclass host, revision
>    0x03) at pci0 dev  0 function 0 not configured
> vendor 0x8086 product 0x7000 (class bridge, subclass ISA,  revision
>    0x01) at pci0 dev  7 function 0 not configured
> vendor 0x102b product 0x0519 (class display, subclass VGA, revision
>    0x01) at pci0 dev 10 function 0 not configured
> vendor 0x10ec product 0x8029 (class network, subclass ethernet, revision
>    0x00) at pci0 dev 12 function 0 not configured

Now obviously I suspect some line-wrapping happened somewhere along the
line, but they look fairly clear. :-)  The Ethernet is probably the
last of those three.

On looking at sys/arch/i386/conf/GENERIC*, in both 1.2 and -current, I
find NE2000 on isa but not on pci.  I assume from this that an NE2000
clone on the PCI bus is not currently supported.  My questions, I
suppose, are (a) is this correct? and (b)(1) what would be involved in
fixing it, (b)(2) is anyone doing it, (b)(3) if not, would it be sane
for me to undertake it myself?  Realize that while I'm not afraid of
kernel/driver hacking, I know _nothing_ about the PCI nor even ISA
busses, nor anything else i386-specific.

Also, what about the other three "not configured" lines?  What's a
"bridge"?  (It does look as though the _display_ may be unrecognized
too, which I daresay could cause problems....)

I must confess am not currently on any of the i386-specific lists.  I
believe Anne is; however, if anyone has anything to suggest, a copy of
the message sent directly to at least one of us would be much
appreciated.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca