Subject: Re: PCMCIA & ATAPI
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/05/1997 12:31:08
[ Still catching up on mail after vacation ... ]

On Sun, 2 Mar 1997 20:54:33 +0100 (MET)
 Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se> wrote:

 > Maybe the people who consider it bad could explain what's bad about it?
 > I've not really looked at it myself yet.

There are ... lots of problems with it, really.  One of the most basic
problems is the autoconfiguration method used is ... very wrong.  Also,
there are lots of kludges for popping devices out that aren't "safe" to
pop out (like network interfaces)... Making this code properly work
is going to require some re-engineering of some MI code to properly
deal with devices that can go away later.

I have a mail from Chris Demetriou outlining a PCMCIA configuration
framework that is much more sane... I'll try and scare up the time do
dig it up and post it here.