Subject: Re: Install story continued...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/03/1997 21:20:18
On Sun, 2 Mar 1997, Peter Seebach wrote:

> (I may even have to, *gasp*, subscribe to this list...)

Don't worry. I had to too. But the natives are generally friendly. :-)

> Thanks largely to cjs@portal.ca, I have now loaded 1.2 (with a -current
> kernel) successfully.  My roommate's ethernet card is working just
> fine (for now), and I hope to be able to build kernels to test support
> for my ethernet card Real Soon.
>
> The worst part was the mysterious failure of the card to work, even
> though ifconfig reported it was up; I finally realized I needed to
> select which of the 3 connectors it was using.
>
> I'm still not quite done; I can't actually find anything in the INSTALL
> guide which mentions how I decide whether to boot NetBSD or Windoze.

I'm not sure if I'm using os-bs (sp?) or not, but the booter I'm using had
some customization features. One was the names of all the boot options.
Another was which was the default.

> The INSTALL guide mentions briefly the possibility of using a DOS partition
> to hold data files, but doesn't really cover how you mount them, and honestly,
> I'm still not sure I know how to do this; there's no partitions in my
> partition list which look like they cover the DOS area of the drive.

There probably aren't. That frustrated me too.

You need to muck with the disklabel of that drive (you have a spare
partition, no?). Add an extra partition whose offset and size match the
dos partition, and tell disklabel you have an extra partition. Oh, make it
an MSDOS partition. :-)

Take care,

Bill