Subject: Re: PCMCIA & ATAPI
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/01/1997 17:18:23
Perry Metzger writes:

>The ATAPI code is considered "not quite finished"; perhaps its author
>can speak about its status?

I'm not the author, but AFAIK, the unfinished-ness was lack of support
for audio CDs and audio CD commands.  That's now fixed; I beleive the
latest ATAPI patches include support for an X-based CD player.

A more severe problem is that someone in Core wants the ATAPI code to
be re-written to be layered on top of the existing SCSI code and (if
memory serves) the existing SCSI cd driver.  Whereas the author of the
ATAPI patches doesn't agree that's the correct design decision,
because an  ATAPI CD  isn't *quite* identical to a SCSI CD, and
the differences  are sufficient to make things ugly.

I don't know the details of the ATAPI CD interface to make a comment,
but I really wish Manuel Bouyer and Jason Thorpe could reach some
agreement on that issue. Otherwise Manuel's ATAPI patches may *never*
be integtated into the tree.  IMHO that would be unfortunte.