Subject: Re: What's going on here?
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/01/1997 19:03:14
You wrote (in your message from Wed 26)

 > Max Bell writes:
 > > >From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
 > > >
 > > >Ain't X great?
 > >
 > > The failure of a given X server to properly free memory it has previously
 > > allocated is the result of flawed implementation, not design.
 >
 > Even a properly implemented X server is a giant pig.

You forgot that most modern video boards allow to mmap() their memory
to have a direct linear access to it.

This memory (2 or more Magabytes) in counted by 'ps' and friends.

Even worse, with some boards the memory has to be mmapped at two or
three different addresses. In those cases it's counted twice or more.

					Matthieu