Subject: Re: What's going on here?
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/01/1997 19:07:00
> > Not bad.. maybe it's the time to upgrade to 3.2.  BTW, is it possible to
> > get 1152x900 at depth=16 with an S3 card with 2 MB of RAM?
>
> It certainly should be, although you're not going to much room for
> expanding pixmaps and font caching and the like.

With XFree86 v3.2, I managed to get 1152x900 depth=16 (but my modeline
is not too good, the picture isn't too stable :-)  Well, I saw some weird
effects when scrolling bitmaps with some objects in front, so I returned
back to 1024x768.  I guess it's better to get a new display card with 4 MB
of RAM.  Can't run with 256 colors - Netscape grabs most colors and then
the other software will no longer run. :(

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---