Subject: Re: 30000 users?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/28/1997 10:18:46
Jukka Marin writes:
> Does anyone have any experience of how NetBSD behaves if there are
> about 30000 accounts on one machine?  We need a system with 30000+
> accounts on it (the users won't log on, but they will receive e-mail
> into their mail boxes and read it using POP3).
>
> How well do the passwd routines survive a load like this?  What is
> the maximum UID - is it 32767 or 65535?  If 32767, it's probably too
> low.. :-I

UIDs are now 32 bits. That isn't going to be a problem.

However, I would question the wisdom of setting up direct accounts for
the users at all. Assuming this is just a POP machine, it takes only
minutes of hacking to have a db file of mail only users, have sendmail
deliver to their pop boxes, and have something like qualcomm's qpopper
deal with understanding users like that. I've done this several times
and its never been painful, and it has always paid off in long term
ease of maintainance and ability to sleep at night.

Perry