Subject: Re: 30000 users?
To: Wailer <banshee@gabriella.abattoir.com>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/28/1997 05:52:59
> pop users don't get to change passwords often.

I guess you've never heard of the poppasswd daemon. :-)

Eudora does, indeed, have an option for doing exactly that with a
cooperating server and many ISPs run this so that stupid users have a
more point-and-click way of changing their passwords.  But this
discussion has probably gone a bit beyond the charter of port-i386, so
I'll shut up now.. :-)

> easy enough to hack such that passwd changes take place at midnight
> if you're getting swamped.

Speaking as someone who deals with a lot of ISPs and their customers,
all I can say is that this approach would be a tech support nightmare.

"Hello?  I just changed my password and IT DOESN'T WORK!  ARGH!"

"But sir, didn't you read the bulletin about how password changes here
can take a maximum of 24 hours to propagate?"

"What?!  My sister uses AOL, and they let her change her password
whenever she wants!  Right away!  What's wrong with you guys?  Yadda
yadda yadda..."

:-)

					Jordan