Subject: Re: What's going on here?
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/26/1997 14:43:52
On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Andrew Gillham wrote:

> Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> >
> > Even a properly implemented X server is a giant pig.

Hm. I guess mine must be really improperly implemented, then,
because the Mach 32 X server on my system is currently eating less
than 5 MB of RAM.  This is with fvwm, eight xterms, a couple of
instances of Netscape, and a few little twidly utilities (xconsole,
xclock, xload, etc.)

> Everyone seems to like to slam X, calling it a pig, etc.  Yet what else
> is there?  The only other "standard" I've seen is *Windows*, which isn't
> an option.  Should we all be running MGR or something?

Even a Windows 95 system at idle seems to eat around 16 MB of RAM.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates