Subject: Re: What's going on here?
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/26/1997 13:38:20
Andrew Gillham writes:
> > > The failure of a given X server to properly free memory it has previously
> > > allocated is the result of flawed implementation, not design.
> >
> > Even a properly implemented X server is a giant pig.
>
> As compared to?

Oh, say, MGR. My old Sun 3/60 running MGR probably still could hold
its own against a recent model Sparcstation running X. On the 3/60,
hitting an accelerator key to bring up the equivalent of an xterm
brought up the terminal emulators literally as fast as you could hit
the key -- even if you held it down for autorepeat, no delay was
perceptible. Even now, its a considerable fraction of a second on my
P133 with 64 megs of memory to do the same. However, that battle was
lost nearly a decade ago. MGR is long dead.

For reference, and for those who would mourn it, MGR's executable was
around 50k. This was in the days *before* shared libraries. I shudder
to think what the size of my X server is.

Perry