Subject: Re: ATM NIC support
To: None <rcn@mci.net>
From: Chuck Cranor <chuck@dworkin.wustl.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/26/1997 09:48:18
>Is there any support in NetBSD for PCI-based ATM adaptors?
>Specifically the Fore PCA-200PC/EPC..... What I am looking
>for is support for Classical IP over PVCs. Any card will do,
>but we have some of the Fores.

There is support for the Efficient Networks PCI ATM adaptor.
The device is called "en" (src/sys/dev/ic/midway.c,
src/sys/dev/pci/if_en_pci.c).   This driver is part of
NetBSD-current (but is not in 1.2).   It is also in the openbsd
source tree, and it will also run under FreeBSD as well [but it
isn't in the FreeBSD tree since the FreeBSD guys lack enough
manpower and/or interest in it to pick it up].  There is some
somewhat dated documentation on the current NetBSD ATM stuff in
http://www.ccrc.wustl.edu/pub/chuck/bsdatm/wucs.html.  We use
this driver under NetBSD/i386 for lots of our research group's work.

At one point in time there was someone working on a Fore ATM driver,
but I am not sure of what the current status of it is.

chuck