Subject: Re: tar problem with -current kernel/bins
To: Markus Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/23/1997 03:56:09
On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Markus Kilbinger wrote:
> Can anybody confirm that using 'tar' with 'gzip' (z option) hangs
> under -current conditions (kernel and bins)? (E. g. 'tar tvzf
> test.tar.gz')
>
> It only hangs as non root. If you start it as root it works!?
>
> If you make a pipe by hand ('zcat test.tar.gz|tar tvf -') it works
> again.

Yeah, I have the same problem, except it hangs even if I start it as root.
I can ^C the tar, or ^Z then kill (or kill -9, even) the process, and the
shell thinks it's dead, but ps shows it in disk wait. Doing a ^T to send a
SIGINFO says [thrd_sleep].

Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++