Subject: Re: Netscape 4.0b2
To: Mike Wlodarczyk <mike@delfin.com>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/23/1997 01:00:36
> On my NetBSD-1.2/i386 system, file claimed:
>
> bsd:	386BSD demand paged executable
> bsd2:	BSDI demand paged executable

Interesting.  A FreeBSD 2.2-GAMMA box reports:

bsd:  386BSD demand paged executable
bsd2: BSD/386 demand paged (first page unmapped) pure ex

Which seems basically the same.

> Also, the bsd2 version didn't grok my XNLSPATH value and dumped core before
> displaying anything. The bsd version ran, although it took numerous core dump
s.

That, however, is different.  I was able to run both versions from
their respective directories without any sort of malfunction.
I also installed the "bsd" version as my default netscape and was
able to use all the tools, from news to mail, just fine.  In fact,
I'm still using it.  I kind of like it. :)  [though they broke the
news tool by overcomplicating it]

Sounds like you had either an install error of some sort or need to
take a quick look at NetBSD's BSD/OS emulation code.

					Jordan