Subject: Re: adobe acrobat?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Laine Stump <laine@MorningStar.Com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/15/1997 07:23:02
On Fri, 14 Feb 1997 22:04:27 GMT, banshee@gabriella.abattoir.com
(Wailer) wrote:

>Anyone tried the linux acrobat from adobe?  I haven't tried with the 3.0
>version but I'm unable to get a previous version to run and I'm wondering
>if I am just dumb.  I have EMULATE_LINUX (or whatever it really is) in my
>kernel and a full set of libs installed (from the freebsd lib bundle).
>EXEC_ELF32 is also in my kernel.  However the program won't run:

I can run acrobat 3.0 on my NetBSD 1.2-release system with (almost) no
problems. I have COMPAT_LINUX on and COMPAT_SVR4 off in my kernel
config. Other than that, the only thing I did was to get the
linux_lib.2.3.tar.gz (or something like that) from the FreeBSD ftp site
(same as you,probably), and untar it into /emul/linux.  Oh, and I
modified the shell script that starts up the *real* acroread binary to
recognize NetBSD as being a "linux" system.

The only problem I have encountered is that, when a document contains
embedded fonts, acrobat insists on creating temporary files to hold
those fonts in /emul/linux (aka "/" according to Linux programs). I have
been unable to find an environment variable to set, or a program
configuration menu to change, to modify this behavior.