Subject: Re: adobe acrobat?
To: Wailer <banshee@gabriella.abattoir.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/14/1997 15:38:07
On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Wailer wrote:

> Anyone tried the linux acrobat from adobe?  I haven't tried with the 3.0
> version but I'm unable to get a previous version to run and I'm wondering
> if I am just dumb.  I have EMULATE_LINUX (or whatever it really is) in my
> kernel and a full set of libs installed (from the freebsd lib bundle).
> EXEC_ELF32 is also in my kernel.  However the program won't run:
>
> gabriella% ./acroread
> ./acroread: Exec format error. Wrong Architecture.
> gabriella% file acroread
> acroread: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1

In what drectory do you have this binary? It's in /emul/linux/something,
isn't it? I think it needs to be for the emulation to get correctly
flaged. Also, the linux libs need to be in /emul/linux/lib or some such
place.

> I can run some linux things, like this:
> sm: Linux/i386 demand-paged executable (ZMAGIC)
>
> so I figure it is an ELF problem.  Hints?  Am I missing the ELF libs?
> Is it that I lack EXEC_AOUT in my kernel?

Do you also have EMULATE_SVR4 (I think that's the one; the other ELF-ish
i386 OS)? If so, you can have linux emulation problems. :-(

Take care,

Bill