Subject: Re: Problems installing NetBSD-1.2
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/12/1997 10:40:28
In article <Pine.LNX.3.93.970123020416.19404A-100000@masry.com>,
	Jose Alburquerque <jose@alexandria.net> writes:
>    1) NetBSD reports a different geometry than that reported by pfdisk
>       under DOS: pfdisk reports 263 255 63 (cyls heads sectors) and NetBSD
>       reports 6703 5 126 (cyls heads sectors) (both have 512 bytes/sector)

Geometry is a virtual thing for SCSI drives. My NCR 53c810 maps the same
disk as 1016 63 66 under MS-Duke.

> 	Initializing /usr file system
> 	With a block size of 16384 minimum bytes per inode is 5957
> 	Minimum bytes per inode is 5957
> 	With 16065 sectors per cylinder, minimum cylinders per group is 32
> 	This requires the block size to be changed from 8192 to 16384
> 		 and the fragment size to be changed from 1024 to 4096
> 	ffs: /dev/sd0e on /mnt/usr: incorrect super block

On the PC of a friend of mine we had the same problem with the Adaptec
mapping. You'll have to to format the partitions manually with e.g.
"newfs -b 16384 /dev/rsd0a".

>    3) I keep getting "/: write failed, file system is full" errors and
>       something about not being able to create symlinks.

Yes, because the installation wrote on the installation floppy. You'll
have to recreate it from the image file.

--
Matthias Scheler				http://home.pages.de/~tron/