Subject: Re: ssh and no X
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@plexus.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/10/1997 18:17:04
On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Scott Reynolds wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to get ssh to compile under 1.2 on a machine which had X, but
> > now doesn't. I don't want ssh to bother with the X stuff. Can I get it to
> > compile and run w/o it? I'd rather not install the include files and
> > libraries for something I won't use.
>
> ssh should notice that X doesn't exist on that machine when you run
> `configure' (make sure to blow away config.cache first, if it's there).
> If not, use the --without-x parameter to configure it.

Hmm. That kinda worked. It got me to the point of realizing that the
problem is that the silly thing insists on makeing ssh-askpass, even
though I don't have X.

I'd just given up on ssh. Now that I realize the problem, I went in and
deleted ssh-askpass from the common file to make, and it compiled and
installed fine.

It works, too. :-)

Thanks!

Bill