Subject: Re: X server running out of memory
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/10/1997 15:32:45
You wrote (in your message from Mon 10)
 > Dear All,
 >
 > How does one start an X server so that it doesn't run out of memory when
 > several applications are running simultaneously?  My X seems to grow to
 > 16-18 MB and then starts refusing new clients.  I'm using XFree86, version
 > 3.1.2 in 65536 color mode with fvwm2-95.  I try to 'ulimit' before running
 > 'xinit', but it doesn't seem to solve the problem.

If the X server was low on memory, you would problably get a
crash. There are so many places where it cannot handle a malloc
returning NULL gracefully.

If you're sure that you used ulimit correctly, do you have enough
pseudo-ttys in the kernel (assuming that your clients are xterms...) ?

Also, an X connection uses one or more file descriptors. Is this
limit high enough ?

Try to redirect your server stderr to a file (startx > errs 2>&1 with
sh) and look at it after it refused a client connection. There might
be some error message there.

					Matthieu